[LINK] Fwd: No battery backup

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Tue Mar 3 08:53:16 AEDT 2015

On 01/03/15 19:41, Jan Whitaker wrote:

> I've told her she shouldn't have to pay ...

NBN have 15 pages of "Optional Battery Backup Informed Consent
Guidelines":
http://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam/nbnco/documents/fibre-premises-equipment-obb-informed-consent-guidelines-checklist-23-october-2013.pdf

The purpose of these guidelines appear to be for NBN to save money by
not installing battery backup and then blame the customer for not
consenting to have it installed.

Where installed, the system uses a 12V 7 Ah Sealed Lead Acid Battery
(same as I have in my UPS). These batteries are relatively cheap and
readily available:
http://www.nbnco.com.au/connect-home-or-business/already-connected/nbn-equipment/battery-back-up-service-information.html

For the phone to work, as well as this battery you need a line powered
old fashioned phone, or a cordless phone which has a backup battery in
the base station (a few do), or a UPS.

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
The Higher Education Whisperer http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/