[LINK] web: More IoT insecurity: This Blu-ray disc pwns PCs and DVD players | Ars Techn ...

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Sat Mar 7 09:46:58 AEDT 2015

Now it's not just standard media that bring risk. Even Blu-Ray and other disk media can bring security risks to the Internet of Things (which are not considered computers). I thought the advice at the end worth heeding: if you don't need the internet to drive normal usage, keep your device unconnected. I'm thinking about all those "smart" tvs that people are buying without understanding the consequences.

     http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/03/more-iot-insecurity-this-blu-ray-disc-pwns-pcs-and-dvd-players/

I had a friend who had some problems with his DVD player (so he thought) and the help line at LG suggested he download new drivers, put them on a DVD, then put that in his player. I didn't realise that software updates in offline devices could be done that way. But evidently they can if the LG guy was telling the truth. Turned out my friend got his device back working without this process, but I thought the idea of doing it this way was unusual.

Jan

I write books. http://janwhitaker.com/?page_id=8

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Twitter: <https://twitter.com/JL_Whitaker>JL_Whitaker
Blog: www.janwhitaker.com

Sooner or later, I hate to break it to you, you're gonna die, so how do you fill in the space between here and there? It's yours. Seize your space.
~Margaret Atwood, writer