[LINK] Kerry Webb

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Fri Nov 13 10:08:28 AEDT 2015

Ivan Trundle wrote Sun Nov 8 07:25:09 AEDT 2015:

> For Linkers who are unaware - long-standing Linker Kerry Webb is
> with  us no more. ...

The Canberra Times announced the death of Kerry Webb, former ACT
government Web architect and Director of Systems for  the National
Library of Australia, 7 November 2015.

Kerry was central to getting the Australian Government on the web in the
mid 1990s. He was a member of the informal "Internet Conspiracy" of
government, academic and industry people who helped formulate Australian
Internet policy. His vision is set out in "Provision of Australian
Government Information on the Internet" (1996):
http://www.nla.gov.au/openpublish/index.php/nlasp/article/view/1011/1281

Kerry was regular contributor to the "Internet Reality Check", held in
Canberra during the middle to late 1990s, with Tony Barry and Eric
Wainwright: http://www.tomw.net.au/irc/irc4.html

A contributor to his profession, Kerry wrote the "Webb's web" column in
the Australian Library and Information Association magazine "Incite"
from January 2005 to December 2012:
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=site%3Aalia.org.au%2Fincite%2F+%22Webb%27s+web%22

Also he co-authored with Christine Frey (Goodacre) of "Microcomputers in
Australian libraries" (ALIA, 1991) and "Automating a small library"
(ALIA, 1992). The NLA also has the sound recording by Kerry "Web based
tools for libraries" (2008): http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-570393

A long term contributor to the Link list on Australian network policy
and communications, Kerry's first post was "Australian Government Web
Page", 12 Apr 1995:
http://mailman.anu.edu.au/pipermail/link/1995-April/022040.html

There are 159 Link posts by, or mentioning, him.

I fondly remember Kerry Webb's bemused jibes at my presentations on
matters to do with the Internet and self-promotion therein. I will miss
his shouting "Bingo" whenever I mentioned the "USS Blue Ridge" in a
talk. ;-)

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
The Higher Education Whisperer http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/