[LINK] NBN questions - HFC

David Lochrin dlochrin at key.net.au
Wed Dec 7 12:18:16 AEDT 2016

On 06/12/2016 16:24, Jan Whitaker wrote:

> This is an HFC connection.
>
> Here's my main question:  Since they provide themselves a four month window for installation, how in the world does one prepare for cutover?
>
> second question; do you lose your phone service immediately when they do the installation? Yes, I'm a landline user. Not that anyone much calls me. But I would like to keep my same phone number. How is that managed? Is the number held for you until it's subscribed with a retailer?

In the case of an FTTN service, the customer must supply a VDSL2-capable modem and the carrier must terminate their end of the line on different equipment (it's moved from POTS/ADSL equipment at the exchange to a kerbside FTTN node).  So there will be an unknown window when the line is dead, and this is one reason I've decided to stick with my perfectly satisfactory ADSL service until NBN installation becomes more predictable.

However an HFC service presumably doesn't impact an existing POTS/ADSL service at all except for transfer of the number (assuming it's being migrated).  And your POTS provider should be able to forward calls to your mobile at no-cost if necessary.

The other thing to consider is the modem.  At least an FTTN subscriber can choose their modem and set it up properly as a firewall, but it would be worth checking this point for an HFC NBN service.

> third question: do retailers on HFC vary all that much in their ability to provide speeds or is it just like HFC always has been - service level contention depends on how many people physically connect to that pipe?

My guess is yes, it's just vanilla HFC.

> The info from NBN was so minimal it was useless. It's all about aerial versus underground installing and how to complain. That's it. It also appears that HFC ONLY provides external boxes and nothing inside at all. So all those questions about keeping your own phones etc are moot. I'm back to square one.

Maybe you could ask them what wiring & hardware you need to organise in order to connect the service to your computer?  Or maybe they're still working on that?

Having been so negative, I should say that at least some FTTN installations in the NSW Southern Highlands seem to be going smoothly & quickly.

David L.