[LINK] NBN questions - HFC & Wireless

David Lochrin dlochrin at key.net.au
Wed Dec 7 20:50:53 AEDT 2016

On 07/12/2016 11:32, I wrote:

> I thought LTE technology had been selected for "4G" instead of WiMAX so maybe the network is being rationalised, however I've asked a Very Reliable Source for clarification.

I'm told WiMaX is old tech and lacks economy of scale.  Vivid Wireless had deployed some WiMAX but this was acquired by Optus and is being retired.  Vivid only had about 50k customers too.

The 2.3GHz spectrum is more valuable for LTE (4G), which also supports so called carrier aggregation using spectrum from different bands.

Also the 4G story is now 4.0G, 4.5G, 4.5G pro, 4.9G, 5G.

So there we are...

David L.