[LINK] Future of farming: Driverless tractors, ag robots

David Boxall linkdb at boxall.name
Fri Dec 9 21:00:10 AEDT 2016

That's one mean-looking tractor!
<http://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/16/future-of-farming-driverless-tractors-ag-robots.html>
> The autonomous driving trend isn't limited to large farm machinery.
> There's also interest in smaller tractors and ag robots, and some see
> them working in groups of five or more in a swarm-like action.

Of course, all that machinery will produce and consume vast amounts of
data, all of which will need low-latency telecommunications. The
communication may be wireless, but it will need ubiquitous fibre for
backhaul. Our politicians really should have extracted their digits a
decade or so ago and begun aggressively rolling out fibre.

--
David Boxall                    |  When a distinguished but elderly
http://david.boxall.id.au       |  possible, he is almost certainly
                                 |  right. When he states that
                                 |  something is impossible, he is
                                 |  very probably wrong.