[LINK] Young Aussies losing ground in digital economy

David Lochrin dlochrin at d2.net.au
Sat Jan 23 12:51:23 AEDT 2016

On 2016-01-23 11:59 JanW  wrote:

> Also, IT is a team sport, just like medicine. Not everyone can have deep enough knowledge to cover all the topics required.
>
> I reckon the whole STEAM process needs to be rethought in how it engages young people. The starting point isn't the ending point. And one person's starting point isn't the next person's. It takes a lifetime to pull together a full picture.

The "software development project" course I mentioned had groups of ten.  It was big on process, including project management, design & project documentation, and minuted weekly group meetings, but team members could select whatever tasks appealed to them.  Since these included everything from designing User Requirements & System Architecture through to Testing & User Documentation, and included roles for an administrator, a version controller, a documentation controller, etc, students had a lot to choose from.

This focus on internal process also seemed to create a social dynamic within groups, which was nice.

> Where projects go off the rails is when people who don't know much of anything about the fundamentals -- e.g. finance types or sociopathic CEOs -- overrule common sense by putting a filter on their decisions that have nothing to do with reality of physics. We all know the faster, cheaper, better meme, or whatever the three are. You can't have all of them. But physics is going to trump every time.

Like creating a "multi-technology" NBN for example, or a fibre-to-the-node network just to be seen to be different?

David L.