[LINK] NBN domestic installations

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Thu Mar 3 17:38:11 AEDT 2016

On 3/03/2016 4:56 PM, David Lochrin wrote:
> It seems reliable information about NBN fibre-to-the-node installations is just about impossible to find, and there's certainly no point in going through the public NBN information sources.  (As a matter of interest, I'm told NBN Co. built at least one expensively appointed call centre then immediately abandoned it when they decided to use an offshore centre.)
>
> But back to domestic _FTTN_ installations...
>
> Does anyone know whether some form of network termination device is installed?
>
> If so, does it:
> (a)   include a VoIP adapter and an Ethernet interface for data, similar to FTTP installations,
> (b)   or does it just provide the Ethernet data interface without the VoIP adapter,
> (c)   or does it just provide raw VDSL?
>
> If (a) or (b), the average non-technical householder would need an approved electrican to run LAN cable from the NTD to their WiFi or whatever router and set it up.  If (c), the electrician might have to isolate the POTS wiring from the VDSL so there's no interference, and the householder still needs someone to set up the router and VoIP adapter.
>
> Anyone have any clues?

According to this April 2014 site:
https://www.commsday.com/revealed-nbn-co-develops-proposed-product-set-for-fttn-with-diluted-speed-guarantees/

"... while NBN Co provides and installs a network termination device in
the home as part of its FTTH offer, it will not provide a VDSL modem and
voice splitter for FTTN. The onus will instead be on the retailer to
provide and install the modem."

So it would seem to be up to, and dependent on, the retailer/ISP, which
is what Paul Brooks has just said.

And then there's this rather old site, the last posting on the forum
being 201, but even then the advice was not favourable to FTTN:
http://nbnexplained.org/wordpress/technical-points/the-fttn-first-debate/

"FTTN uses more electricity than FTTH, produces more greenhouse gases
than FTTH, features a bigger carbon footprint than FTTH, requires more
maintenance in terms of changing batteries and coolings fans than the
simple splitter boxes used by FTTH hubs, requires larger fridge sized
cabinets on every second street around Australia compared to postbox
size FTTH hubs, yields slower download speeds than FTTH at the same time
as using hardware that stifles competition. An FTTN cabinet is
approximately ~(50x120x150)cm LxWxH. An FTTH Cabinet is approximately
~(47x37x68)cm LxWxH and eight times smaller in volume. Which one would
you like in your street?"

And, in my opinion, if you add wireless, it makes it even worse - more
energy and bigger batteries.

--

Regards
brd