[LINK] NBN domestic installations

David Lochrin dlochrin at d2.net.au
Sat Mar 5 18:15:12 AEDT 2016

On 2016-03-05 10:32 Paul Brooks wrote:

> Yes, somebody will have to arrange a tech to rearrange the house phone sockets, since that rearrangement has to be done on the telco side of the network boundary - but it might (and I stress 'might') not be the end-user that has to arrange it.

In the current POTS world I understand Telstra is responsible as far as the the first line appearance in the user's premises, not just to the box on an outside wall.

We don't have to extrapolate that service definition very far to expect an NBN-installed filter with its voice output connected to the house wiring, but that would require a VoIP adapter.

And if we expect the same to apply to data, then NBN would be responsible for a dedicated line from the data side of the filter to wherever the user chooses to put their VDSL modem.  On the other hand, in an FTTP installation the NTD defines the service boundary

Hmmm....

David L.