[LINK] NBN domestic installations

Andy Farkas andyf at andyit.com.au
Sun Mar 6 01:22:02 AEDT 2016

On 03/03/2016 21:22, Paul Brooks wrote:
> On 3/03/2016 7:04 PM, Andy Farkas wrote:

>>> NBNCo do not install any form of NTD or CPE. Ideally your ISP will supply a suitable
>>> VDSL2 modem/router, or you will need to procure one yourself.
>> Yes, let's pass on the cost to the consumer.... thanks malcs
>>
>> (FTTH: you plug your existing router straight into the supplied NTU)
> Not really - I don't hear anyone complaining about buying ADSL1/2/2+ modems for use on
> an ADSL line as "passing the cost to the consumer".  Or about buying their own
> analogue modem in dial-up days.

That was then. Now we're talking about how malcs destroyed the
previous NBNv1 plan. Back then, an NTU was supplied, for free, in
to the premises. You connected your computer straight into it. No
modem required.

> And you can only plug your existing router straight in to the NTU if you have a
> relatively new one with dual uplink ports, ADSL + Ethernet. The vast majority of the
> existing ADSL1/2/2+ modem fleet don't have any Ethernet WAN port, just the DSL port,
> so will need to be binned in any case.

I'll concede a little bit on this point - I think I actually meant
"switch" rather
than a router. A FTTH NTU is the router, or gateway, to the Internet.

A lot of ADSL routers have 4 ports. Connect one of the ports to a FTTH NTU
and use the other ports for your LAN.

> The reality is that, like ADSL2+, there is a wide variety of VDSL2 capable modems
> available on the market, prices are set low by competition, so it makes sense to
> permit the customer to get one that suits their functionality, needs and budget. GPON
> NTUs aren't widely available from multiple vendors, aren't a competitive supply, and
> largely aren't interoperable between vendors - so it makes sense that it is supplied
> as part of the FTTP network service.

The VDSL modems "available on the market" may not be NBN compatible.
Only modems approved by NBN, but they won't tell you which ones.

Regarding the GPON NTU's, the idea was that NBN bought in bulk to install
into each premises to reduce cost. I'm not sure what your point was there...

> (But if you don't like that, you'll LOVE that it looks like the same scenario for HFC
> - customer to supply own DOCSIS3/3.1 compliant cable modem!)

I'm not going anywhere near HFC. It should be scrapped along with FTTN.

>>> There does need to be a central filter/splitter installed on the telephone line to
>>> isolate POTS from VDSL2, and reduce noise on the VDSL2 spectrum.
>> You do not need a splitter. The POTS line will be switched off.
>>
>> You may not be able to get your existing phone number ported to VoIP.
>>
>> Thanks malcs.
> This is incorrect. You do need a splitter, especially if you will be keeping the POTS
> service running, to isolate crappy internal house wiring from affecting the VDSL2
> signal. Star-wiring to multiple internal sockets will seriously screw with the VDSL2
> signal due to reflections and impedance mismatches at high frequencies. Alternatively,
> disconnect all internal sockets.
> The POTS line may not always be switched off - NBN and some RSPs are using 'Voice Pass
> Through' and maintaining the original dial-tone for a while. It depends on the RSP.
> See http://commsalliance.com.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/50548/WC68-IGN-008.pdf,
> Section 5.1, and any references to 'VPT' or 'NVPT'.

The POTS line will be switched off after 18 months of RFS. You will
*have* to
migrate to VoIP whether you like it or not, so why bother keeping your POTS
line active for a short time? Sure, if you are silly enough to do this,
a VDSL
line filter will be required, for *all* phones in your home.

> If you are unable to get your existing telephone number ported to VoIP, thats entirely
> the fault of a screwed-up service provider - either your old one, or your new one, not
> properly supporting Local Number Portability out or in.
> It has NOTHING to do with nbn, and this time nothing at all to do with Malcs.
> If your old or new service provider won't port your number, report them to the TIO.

Agreed. I have read that some ISP/RSP's cannot port your number. Choose
another VoIP provider.

>>> There has also been rumours that NBNCo are doing 'voice passthrough', and the analogue
>>> POTS signal will remain on the line and keep the handset connected through to the
>>> exchange, so there is no need to move the voice service to a VoIP port on the modem.
>>> This is likely to be a temporary measure though.
>>>
>> A lot of homes have 2 pairs of copper running into the house. The idea is that
>> you leave the existing active service on the first pair and use the second pair
>> for your FTTN service. To do this it will cost you $297.
> Nope. You could choose to do this, but would be nuts, and unnecessary. Nothing to do
> with Malcs.

My point here was that with a GPON NTU installed in your home, ala original
NBNv1, there is no disruption to service. You call up an RSP and ask to get
connected, plug in your computer/LAN, make sure it works, get your phone
number ported to VoIP, and then let the copper fade away...

With FTTN the only way to do that is by using the second copper pair, if you
have one.

They will *have* to disconnect your existing copper line to cut-over to
FTTN.
Your phone *will* be disconnected. VPT may be an option, but it won't be
permanent.

> Paul.

-andyf

ps. were you at the Senate Select Committee on Friday?