[LINK] NBN domestic installations

Andy Farkas andyf at andyit.com.au
Thu Mar 10 16:01:12 AEDT 2016

On 10/03/2016 14:43, David Lochrin wrote:
> On 2016-03-06 10:33 Andy Farkas wrote:
>> With FTTN you will have to get a new modem/router/voip device.
> I believe FTTN provides a VDSL2 interface, and VDSL2 can negotiate down to ADSL2+ and ADSL2, at least.  So it should be possible to use an existing modem when the user doesn't mind the speed degrade.

Absolutely not.

If modem does not meet the specs of the node, the port will be
shutdown. You then have to call your RSP, who will then call
nbn(tm) to get it reset. This can take more than 24 hours.

There have been *many* reports of this happening; when someone
orders a FTTN service, and they currently have ADSL, if they leave
their old modem on when the service is cut over whilst away,
when they get back and notice ADSL not working, they swap
over to the VDSL modem and it still will not work.

One of the reasons a "tech" (aka Telstra pleb) needs to come
to your home is to make sure the ADSL modem is disconnected.

I have said before, and I'll say it again, *everything* about FTTN
is wrong.

-andyf