[LINK] NBN domestic installations

Paul Brooks pbrooks-link at layer10.com.au
Thu Mar 10 16:22:07 AEDT 2016

On 10/03/2016 3:43 PM, David Lochrin wrote:
> On 2016-03-06 10:33 Andy Farkas wrote:
>> With FTTN you will have to get a new modem/router/voip device.
> I believe FTTN provides a VDSL2 interface, and VDSL2 can negotiate down to ADSL2+ and ADSL2, at least.  So it should be possible to use an existing modem when the user doesn't mind the speed degrade.
Actually no - The NBNCo interface also requires G.INP and G.VECTOR functionality to be
implemented in the modem. ADSL2+ modems generally do not implement G.INP or vectoring.
Non-vectored VDSL2 can certainly degrade gracefully to non-vectored ADSL2+ - but NBNCo
require vectoring to ensure the speeds of the parallel VDSL2 services on other pairs
can be maintained, so a non-vectored ADSL2+ modem won't be accepted.

This aspect is a real problem, as it prevents NBNCo enabling VDSL2 mode on the line
while the user continues to use their existing ADSL2+ modem, and then the user
upgrading the modem on their own timetable at a later stage.

Note the reverse timing is OK - the user can obtain a VDSL2-capable modem early,
attach it to the line while the line is still connected to a ADSL1/2/2+ and it should
work fine - and then when the NBN switchover occurs, the modem should sync up in VDSL2
mode automagically. (note *should*)

Paul.