[LINK] Does NBN need a third satellite?

Frank O'Connor francisoconnor3 at bigpond.com
Fri Mar 25 16:09:13 AEDT 2016

Mmmm,

But the NBN since the government took it over has had a history of wildly optimistic projections concerning bandwidth usage and requirements … apparently in 2020 Australian households will only need 15Mbs of bandwidth, which is why the MTM NBN is shooting for at least 25Mbs per household, but not guaranteeing anything. The fact that bandwidth to households has increased by a factor of more than 200 in the last 10 years is apparently not a trend anyone should take any interest in.

Factor in that the new media distribution and business models (NETFLIX et alia), new ways of delivering services (like medicine, home based aged care, government service delivery etc etc), the need for synchronous simultaneous multichannel services if we’re actually gonna be competitive and upload digital goods, designs, processes and services from home and business through the Net, and a host of other possibilities that the rest of the world is examining at the moment that will require huge amounts of ADDITIONAL bandwidth … and there may be, just maybe, a few more demands on the system than our legal and accounting geniuses who occupy benches in parliament seem to realise.

But I’m sure it will all work out.

I mean, how can you doubt a government that appoints Wind Farm Commissioners to forestall wind farm development, whilst continuing to poor billions into the bottomless  pit of ‘clean coal research’ - the majority of which has gone overseas for the last 20 years. A government that supports every bully’s right to bully - because homophobic bullies are (Christian) people too. A government that seeks to emasculate the CSIRO’s climate science capability, and has installed a CEO who justifies it on the ground sthat the ‘science is settled’ whilst supporting more research into water divining. A government that burdens its young (and even chase them to the grave to recover them) with education costs and placing obstacles in the way of the talented but poor, but trumpets on about being ‘innovative and agile’. A government that delights in monitoring, spying on and intruding on the rights of its citizens in the name of ‘freedom’.

Political parties that raise money in a secretive and probably corrupt manner, and then have the gall to label taxpayers and their electorate as ‘leaners’. Who accept the ‘unbiased opinions of climate skeptics in the pay of the fossil fuel industries over that of 97% of the world’s climate scientists, who are apparently working to some anti-free market agenda and profiting richly from their magnificent government remuneration.

And finally, from the NBN perspective, we rely on political, economic and 1970’s nuclear physics geniuses like Henry Ergas, Malcolm Turnbull, Ziggy Switowski, Maurice Newman and others to modify the design of a broadband and expect it to work … against the advice of political neophytes with a million times more IT and networking experience. Hey, what would they know?

These idiots don’t live on the same planet as the rest of us.

Just my ranting 2 cents worth …
---