[LINK] The cost of neglected infrastructure

David Boxall linkdb at boxall.name
Fri May 6 09:23:43 AEST 2016

An increasingly-common type of story:
- ADSL-enabled exchange, without available ports;
- subscriber resorts to mobile data, with external antenna and signal
booster;
- it works for a while, but service eventually degrades beyond usability;
- they try to move, but house won't sell;
- NBN looks like offering fixed wireless, but towers are few and house
is in a valley;
- atrocious information-management by NBN™ aggravates problems.

<https://www.facebook.com/groups/BIRRR/permalink/501902553351770/>
> Ok. I won't go into detail, but after being told different things b
> Telstra, it is clear thatcwe cannot get an adsl connection ever. We
> have been using mobile data with limited success and now this has
> dropped below dial-up speed. We've tried to get this fixed by telstra
> (last time this happened it was a problem with the tower) but nobody
> wants to listen.
>
> Our suburb (Nobbys Creek) doesn't appear on the NBN map yet, and even
> still it seems like they are going with wireless in thegeneral area-
> which doesnt help us as we're in a valley.
>
> I even tried to move but our house didnt sell. We work from home and
> it has become comletely untenable. Do I have any options at all?
>
> I'm feeling really frustrated and depressed. We aren't even remote, so
> don't seem to be part of the equation at all.
Nobbys Creek is West of Murwillumbah: -28.2940454,153.3019855.

--
David Boxall                    |  The world is run by
http://david.boxall.id.au       |          --Tony Windsor