[LINK] Voice on the NBN

Andy Farkas andyf at andyit.com.au
Sat Sep 10 15:12:55 AEST 2016

On 09/09/2016 17:35, Narelle wrote:
> Folks
> my day job is with ACCAN <http://accan.org.au/> and with permission to
> forward, I can get the official answers to this.
>
> However, my understanding is that a simple switch over should be part of
> the NBN install that your retail service provider should do. I would like
> to confirm the exact details as with FTTN things have changed since I was
> completely across the details...

I got NBN six weeks ago.

Your ISP/RSP should provide you with a pre-configured modem to which
you can just plug in a normal telephone. Your land-line number is
ported to VoIP, and everything just works. That's what happened to me.

BUT....

....the phone now has to be near the modem because that's where
it has to be plugged into. And you can only plug in one phone. So if
you have "extensions" around the house, they ain't gonna work no
more.

....fortunately I'm an IT guy and was able to reverse-engineer the VoIP
settings from the modem and configure my FreeSwitch server to use
the VoIP account details and reconnect all my DECT handsets and other
VoIP devices.

-andyf