[LINK] Demand 'still not there' for 1Gbps: NBN Co

Paul Brooks pbrooks-link at layer10.com.au
Fri Feb 10 11:03:54 AEDT 2017

Its not the retail pricing primarily, or international capacity holding it back - its
largely wholesale costs. Notice he's not saying that end-users aren't buying - he's
complaining that ISPs aren't even putting 1 Gbps on the menu to be available for
people to buy.

The issue is the large NBN and non-NBN costs to do so. Before any RSP can make 1 Gbps
services available on the menu to buy, the RSP has to provision at least 1.5 - 2 Gbps
of non-NBN backhaul to the POI, and at least 1.5 - 2 Gbps of NBN CVC at the POI, in
each and every one of up to 121 (right now 126) POIs. That requires serious $$$$
up-front, before any customer has ordered  service, on blind faith that someone will -
and the RSP needs to gather very quickly many tens of such 1 Gbps customers for that
to turn into a positive investment.

Intuitively, you wouldn't expect RSPs to be putting 1 Gbps services onto the menu
until they had sufficient scale - around 1.5 - 2 Gbps of backhaul and CVC provisioned
to each POI to service the business-as-usual rest of the customer-base, so that the
incremental cost of putting them on was small, but the customer could still pin the
dial when they do a speed test completely unrepresentative of any real activity to
post to Whorlpool.

As of Dec 2016 in the latest NBN wholesale report, dividing the total aggregate CVC
across the 127 active+interim POIs, and across the RSPs in proportion to their market
share, Only Telstra, TPG and Optus (barely) have more than 1.5 Gbps of CVC capacity on
average at POIs.  The majority of RSPs (outside the Big Four, lumped together as
'other Access Seekers') have roughly 888 Mbps of CVC total to each POI amongst all of
them - so it will be quite a long while before any of them put 1 Gbps services on
their menu.

Over time, as backhaul transmission rent and CVC charges come down, and the aggregate
backhaul capacity and CVC sizes grow up sustainably due to growth of the
100Mbps-and-lower bread-and-butter services, each RSP will come naturally to a point
where it has the scale to offer 1 Gbps services on the menu without killing the
business. And then people can buy them. But not at this transition time.

P.