[LINK] Australian households, businesses on NBN slam +óunreliable+ó connection

rene rene.ln at libertus.net
Fri Mar 17 10:24:02 AEDT 2017

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 17:59:39 +1000, Andy Farkas wrote:

> On 16/03/2017 17:33, rene wrote:
[...]
>> that even if NBN Co. supplies a perfect service to some area, if an
>> ISP retailer in that area skimps on provisioning/contention ratio,
>> then their customers will not receive the requested speed,
>>

> No, NBN can only provide a certain amount of bandwidth to the nodes.
> The RSP cannot make it any faster. They must share the limited BW
> between themselves.

Perhaps what I meant wasn't clear. I meant that even if NBN Co. supplies
sufficient bandwidth to a particular node, an ISP's customers still won't
get the paid-for speed if the ISP chooses to have contention ratios that
are too high. That is, if they fail to pay for sufficient CVC capacity from
NBN Co. and/or sufficient backhaul from an upstream carrier.

There have previously been cases of people blaming FTTN for slow speeds,
when the cause was actually the ISP's contention ratio. See, as one
example, the case in this article:

The NBN: Truth in the battle of FTTN and avoiding new FUD
http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Feature/415565,the-nbn-truth-in-the-battle-of
-fttn-and-avoiding-new-fud.aspx

(I share the above writer's view to the effect that blaming NBNCo. for
things that are not its fault  "threatens to derail a lot of the good
arguments that are being raised about the MTM" and wastes the time of
Senate Committees etc which would be better spent on things that are
NBNCo's and/or the gov's fault.)

> Do you need a link to NBN Design documents that show how it was
> severely hobbled by the honorable (<spit, cough, choke>) current
> PM turdBull?
>
> I envy your FTTP connection, as it should've been for 93% of
> Australia.

FTTP speeds will also be slow if an ISP's contention ratio is too high.
There've also been complaints about that since long before FTTN (nodes)
existed.

Irene