[LINK] Australian households, businesses on NBN slam +óunreliable+ó connection

Andy Farkas andyf at andyit.com.au
Fri Mar 17 12:01:36 AEDT 2017

On 17/03/2017 09:24, rene wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 17:59:39 +1000, Andy Farkas wrote:
>
>> On 16/03/2017 17:33, rene wrote:
> [...]
>>> that even if NBN Co. supplies a perfect service to some area, if an
>>> ISP retailer in that area skimps on provisioning/contention ratio,
>>> then their customers will not receive the requested speed,
>>>
>> No, NBN can only provide a certain amount of bandwidth to the nodes.
>> The RSP cannot make it any faster. They must share the limited BW
>> between themselves.
> Perhaps what I meant wasn't clear. I meant that even if NBN Co. supplies
> sufficient bandwidth to a particular node, an ISP's customers still won't
> get the paid-for speed if the ISP chooses to have contention ratios that
> are too high. That is, if they fail to pay for sufficient CVC capacity from
> NBN Co. and/or sufficient backhaul from an upstream carrier.

I fully understand what you were saying. RSP's need to find the balance
between the amount of CVC they purchase and the amount of bandwidth
they are selling.

(They have to do this 141 times if they want to provide nation-wide.)

*My* point is that bandwidth to a node (FTTN) is limited. 1000Mbps.
Divide that by 384 users (node capacity). You get 2.6Mbps per user.
RSP's can't make it go any faster no matter how much CVC they buy.

> There have previously been cases of people blaming FTTN for slow speeds,
> when the cause was actually the ISP's contention ratio. See, as one
> example, the case in this article:
>
> The NBN: Truth in the battle of FTTN and avoiding new FUD
> http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Feature/415565,the-nbn-truth-in-the-battle-of
> -fttn-and-avoiding-new-fud.aspx

That article is old - before the RSPs knew what to expect. Most now
have a better idea, and increase their CVC appropriately.

> FTTP speeds will also be slow if an ISP's contention ratio is too high.
> There've also been complaints about that since long before FTTN (nodes)
> existed.

Again, before RSPs knew what to expect.

At least your FTTP is limited to only 2600Mbps / 32 users....
81Mbps. See why I'm envious? :)

-andyf

PS. I'm on Fixed Wireless. There are probably close to 200 users on
my tower. Backhaul from the towers is a measly 100Mbps.