[LINK] Spells Against Autonomy

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Thu Mar 23 13:35:13 AEDT 2017

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017, Jim Birch wrote:

> This could result in cities that are more pedestrian-oriented, which is
> arguably a good thing. It could also make vehicle travel slower and perhaps
> even unworkable with some imperious pedestrian populations. It might
> eventually result in jaywalking laws being dusted off and revamped.

Some very good points.

It also occurs to me that jaywalking may become socially unacceptable.
If my driverless car is stopping every few metres while on city streets to
allow a jaywalker across I'm going to develop a negative view of
jaywalking, and so is everyone else.  It could quickly be viewed as a very
anti-social behaviour.  Combined with appropriate legal sanctions I think
this should deal with the problem.  It's an interesting example of society
adapting to technogical change.

Cheers,

Rob