[LINK] Spells Against Autonomy

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Thu Mar 23 14:16:37 AEDT 2017

At 12:35 +1000 23/3/17, Robert Brockway wrote:
>It also occurs to me that jaywalking may become socially unacceptable. If my driverless car is stopping every few metres while on city streets to allow a jaywalker across I'm going to develop a negative view of jaywalking, and so is everyone else.  It could quickly be viewed as a very anti-social behaviour.  Combined with appropriate legal sanctions I think this should deal with the problem.  It's an interesting example of society adapting to technogical change.

This conversation's a delicious example of how homo sapiens will pass the baton on to roboticus sapiens and/or homo roboticus, in the process signing its own execution warrant.

I've written on homo roboticus (cyborg) rights:  http://www.rogerclarke.com/SOS/CyRts-1102.html

I haven't written much on the emergent rights of roboticus sapiens.

But it doesn't seem as if they'll need my help.  Big business will require subservient parliaments to give them the rights that they need, as they need them.

Capek got it wrong, in that violent takeover by robots is unnecessary.

Clarke (Arthur C., I mean) and Asimov got it right, by postulating that, say, 25th century, societies comprise robots (which may have some biological components) and no humans.

(In the meantime, I'm interested in the number of pedestrians who make unfortunate assumptions about whether the car driving towards them is under the control of a human, a machine, or both and neither).

Tel: +61 2 6288 6916                        http://about.me/roger.clarke

Visiting Professor in the Faculty of Law            University of N.S.W.