[LINK] British researcher finds a 'kill switch' for global cyber attack

David Lochrin dlochrin at key.net.au
Mon May 15 12:14:41 AEST 2017

On 15/05/2017 11:35, Tom Worthington wrote:

> Over the last five years I have been a student at three higher education institutions. The enrollment instructions for each said I had to have Microsoft Windows (or Apple OS) and the Microsoft Office suite. I ignored this and used Linux with Libre Office. I managed to get through everything up to my last presentation, without my instructors noticing.

I can whole-heartedly support that.  LibreOffice has very good compatibility with various versions of MS Office right up to the 2007-2013 XML (.docx) format.

Recently I've had cause to install Debian "Jessie", which seems to be excellent and includes a proper firewall (NFtables).  Debian offers a number of GUI implementations, including the widely used KDE which can be configured to have the traditional Windows look & feel.

When O/S distributions of this quality are available for nothing more than a donation (optional) it's difficult to see why any organisation would prefer Windows.  Maybe a big corporation gives a sense of parental comfort?

David L.