[LINK] My letter to the local paper

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Mon Jul 23 16:59:21 AEST 2018

On Mon, 2018-07-23 at 13:53 +1000, David wrote:
> I thought it was possible for an individual to at least display their
> record, I assume all of it (?), and to be notified when it was
> accessed.  However whether this would be honoured for all time, even
> if true, is not guaranteed.

You can set up notifications. You can see all parts of your records as
far as I know.

If you've set up notifications, you will be notified when something new
is added to your record, at least if it comes from a legitimate health
provider. You will not necessarily be notified if the Government
changes your record, a hacked changes your record.

I don't know if you are notified of accesses. Does anyone know?

Newly uploaded documents are shared by default, so to protect any new
document you have to log in immediately after you are notified and set
restrictions on it. There is no way to change this default, so there is
always a window of time where a new upload is unprotected.

Note that the protections are only against legitimate health providers,
and only for documents actually in your record. All bets are off once a
health provider downloads something into their own system, and of
course the Government, the police, the ATO etc can see anything,
"restricted" or not.

And no, there are no guarantees any of this will remain unchanged, for
the better or for the worse.

> I think it would be worth repeating the URL of the opt-out page too.

https://www.myhealthrecord.gov.au/for-you-your-family/opt-out-my-health
-record

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: A0CD 28F0 10BE FC21 C57C 67C1 19A6 83A4 9B0B 1D75
Old fingerprint: A52E F6B9 708B 51C4 85E6 1634 0571 ADF9 3C1C 6A3A