[LINK] My letter to the local paper

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Tue Jul 24 14:15:17 AEST 2018

On Tue, 2018-07-24 at 13:43 +1000, Jim Birch wrote:
> You might not state it explicitly but there a basic implication that
> MyHR is bad and we're better off without it, isn't there?  Maybe I'm
> misreading and you're in favour of a shared health record but against
> some aspects of the implementation?  In the circumstances you might
> say so because it is rather misleading if you don't.   (And at times
> like this, every bit of sanity helps.)

Well - sort of.

I do think that MyHR is bad and we would be better off without it. I'm
definitely not in favour of a shared health record if by that you mean
a central repository.

I *am* in favour of IT helping health. And I *am* in favour of being
able to share my health information - but on my terms, with people I
choose, and with strong controls over what they can do with it. None of
those are provided by My Health Record and from what I can see, what it
*does* provide is not very useful. Enough links have been posted here
to articles detailing how useless it is.

If it were opt-in, I'd be less concerned, because natural apathy would
keep most of the population out of it (as it is, natural apathy is
going to end up with most of the population caught). But it isn't opt-
in.

If it were a distributed system, tying together the many primary
sources rather than gathering everything into one big honeypot, I'd be
happier. But it isn't distributed.

If it were strictly medical, I'd be less concerned, but it isn't.

If there were even remotely useful controls in the hands of the users,
I'd be less concerned, but there aren't.

I suppose at a stretch this could be said to be "against some aspects
of the implementation" but overall I think they render the system so
dangerous as to require dismantling and starting again.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: A0CD 28F0 10BE FC21 C57C 67C1 19A6 83A4 9B0B 1D75
Old fingerprint: A52E F6B9 708B 51C4 85E6 1634 0571 ADF9 3C1C 6A3A