[LINK] My letter to the local paper

Paul Brooks pbrooks-link at layer10.com.au
Wed Jul 25 10:23:56 AEST 2018

'shared health record' is what I have a problem with. I don't want a 'shared' health
record, I want a MY health record. Seems the department has forgotten what the word
'my' means.
For MY health record, the only people who should have access to it is me, and my
chosen doctor. Not other institutions, not any old hospital, not the police, not ASIO.

MY health record should be protected as my paper record held at my doctors surgery
are, under doctor-patient confidentiality, with similar level of protection against
disclosure to ANYONE as legal privilege. Last time my doctor wanted to speak to
another doctor and disclose how I was being treated, he called and asked for my
explicit permission for that particular disclosure for that particular treatment at
that particular time.

This system does not provide those protections, or time-limited one-time-only access
permissions, or even a reasonable audit-trail (it logs to institution level, the first
time they look. Not down to user-level, and not (as I understand it) anything after
the first access.)

And certainly not :
"

> 70  Disclosure for law enforcement purposes, etc.
>
>              (1)  The System Operator is authorised to use or disclose health
> information included in a healthcare recipient’s My Health Record if the System
> Operator reasonably believes that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary for
> one or more of the following things done by, or on behalf of, an enforcement body:
>
>                      (a)  the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution or
> punishment of criminal offences, breaches of a law imposing a penalty or sanction or
> breaches of a prescribed law;
>
>                      (b)  the enforcement of laws relating to the confiscation of
> the proceeds of crime;
>
>                      (c)  the protection of the public revenue;
>
>                      (d)  the prevention, detection, investigation or remedying of
> seriously improper conduct or prescribed conduct;
>
>                      (e)  the preparation for, or conduct of, proceedings before any
> court or tribunal, or implementation of the orders of a court or tribunal.

The 'protection of the public revenue' clause in the Telco Act was how local councils
authorised telephone call record metadata collection without warrants or police
involvement for tracking stray dogs and pursuing overdue library books.  I do not want
local councils having blanket authorisation to access my health record to see if I
really have a condition worthy of the disabled sticker on my car, if I had one.

Paul.