[LINK] My letter to the local paper

Stephen Loosley StephenLoosley at outlook.com
Mon Jul 30 23:27:29 AEST 2018

David rightly wrote,

“If the Government's loud protestations that they only want to improve the health system are true then perhaps they could begin by removing access from every entity except registered hospitals and medical practices, and individuals to their own record.  If some organisation wants access to my record for research purposes, they can damn well ask me first.  And if ASIO wants access they can justify a judicial warrant.” DavidL.

Also like what Stil writes today .. https://www.zdnet.com/article/canberra-still-in-denial-over-my-health-record-concerns/

“.. It seems to me that the government is still in denial about the mounting opposition to My Health Record and the flaws in it..

The ADHA's My Health Record Twitter account has been pumping out a stream of positive stories, and links to positive news stories.

Perhaps that's to be expected.  But they're still missing the core point.

People don't fear that My Health Record won't be useful.

They're worried that their medical data might be misused<https://www.zdnet.com/article/my-health-record-opt-out-debate-is-getting-silly-but-government-is-at-fault/>, or involved in a data breach<https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-my-health-record-story-no-politician-should-miss/>, and they're not satisfied with the answers they're getting.

"People aren't stupid, they know the importance of updated medical information and their inability to remember the minutiae," wrote oncologist Ranjana Srivastava in Guardian Australia<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/30/patients-trust-their-doctors-with-secrets-not-the-government-or-the-tax-office> on Monday.

"What they (have) have concerns about the privacy of their data. But these concerns are legitimate." ..

The government needs to stop denying the validity of the criticisms.

Cheers,
Stephen