[LINK] Don’t believe the hype: We’re a long way from 5G

hamish at cloud.net.au hamish at cloud.net.au
Fri Jun 1 21:38:13 AEST 2018

Sorry my Android mail application doesn't really allow me to respond inline.

I can't think of an application that needs hundreds of megabits constantly but I could certainly use it in bursts. There are plenty of occupations which require large file transfers (software development, video and other media etc) where a lot of time is wasted waiting on file transfers right now, particularly uploading.

My ADSL uplink is 800 KILOBITS per second - it is pathetic.

As for keeping your POTS connection that isn't possible with FTTN - it uses the same copper pair. With HFC (and fixed wireless I guess) it's possible though, at least during the 18 month coexistence period.

Hamish

Sent from my android device.