[LINK] Can you pay to change your FTTN to FTTP?

Stephen Loosley StephenLoosley at outlook.com
Sat Mar 31 02:20:50 AEDT 2018

Interesting discussion on Reddit right now ..

https://www.reddit.com/r/australia/comments/888i3c/can_you_pay_to_change_your_fttn_to_fttp/

Can you pay to change your FTTN to FTTP?

submitted 8 hours ago by Infamousthirdson

I get that you shouldn't have to do this, but I don't have faith in the infrastructure being upgraded anytime soon and I'm literally 4 metres away from node.

So I'm just wondering if it's possible to just foot the bill, have fibre connected to the house and get on with it? And if so, how much would it possibly cost?
--

Discussion …

[–]moustachaaa 42 points 8 hours ago

https://www2.nbnco.com.au/learn-about-the-nbn/network-technology/technology-choice-program/individual-premises-switch.html

Technology choice pogrom.

$660 for a quote, then expect it to cost around $10,000 or more. There's a thread on Whirlpool about other people's experiences.

[–]Christopher-Pyne 21 points 5 hours ago

$660 for just a quote is fucking outrageous

[–]caribwa 13 points 4 hours ago

Well talk to your mate Malcs then Chrissy. He did promise it would cost less than $3000 to do so. Another fucking lie.

[–]SomeOzDude 1 point 3 hours ago

Less than $3,000 for a quote? /s

[–]drunkill 31 points 8 hours ago

yes, for a few thousand dollars, probably ~$5k in your instance.

It is priced high because they don't want people doing it.

[–]Infamousthirdson[S] 12 points 7 hours ago

Shit that's high. The node is 4 metres or so from my front door. I'll get a picture in a bit.

[–]ScoobyDoNot 17 points 5 hours ago

The nodes were not designed to support FTTP.

If you get FTTP it will have to go much further back in the network.

Malicious design incompetence from the Coalition.

[–]Lintson 8 points 7 hours ago

if the node is 4 metres from your front door how much more performance do you think you will get by having it into your premises? Genuinely curious because my 'curb' is also in front of my property.

[–]commanderjarakFilthy pinko lefty 12 points 7 hours ago

Just because the node is right next to you, doesn't mean the copper only runs a short distance. It could run around the block from the pillar before it hits your house.

[–]Lintson 1 point 6 hours ago

ah theres the difference, I think my neighbourhood is getting FTTC as opposed to FTTN. The pit is in front of my property.

[–]Infamousthirdson[S] 1 point 5 hours ago

I'm paying for 50mb/s with Telstra and am only getting 30. Seems like it's already slow, maybe because I live next to a bunch of hotels or something for traffic.

[–]randomer207 4 points 5 hours ago

If you go down the FTTP switch route fibre is run from the SAM site, doesn’t just piggyback/off the node.

[–]Infamousthirdson[S] 1 point 5 hours ago

Didn't realise that, guess I'll need a lot more research.

[–]randomer207 1 point 4 hours ago

Definitely have a good real on Whirlpool Forums. I could be wrong, or it could be a case by case basis. There's a poster above saying they were told/heard of a case where NBNCo where going to run SMF and terminate/split it at the node because they had oodles of space. I've seen inside my node and there definitely wouldn't be enough space for more than a handful.

E. here's the thread: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2673949

Have a read through 'Xsjado's posts. eg/ "Best you can hope for is that you have a branch multiport or DJL nearby to feed the FJL that will be installed. Either that or a FTTP SAM nearby."

[–]ratt_man 11 points 5 hours ago

Yes they randomly pick a price between 5k and 25k.

We had a client who was quoted 18k for a nbn upgrade.

[–]Ardeet 5 points 8 hours ago

Enough money will get you most of what you want, so the answer has to be yes. For example you could buy the house next door and run a cable to your place.

Post is marked non-political so I’ll refrain from commenting on what current regulation “allow” you to do.

[–]groautime 5 points 5 hours ago

I went ahead with my quote of $6400 but based on the whirlpool thread the average seems to be around 10-15k. It's a long and arduous process that can take 6 months to complete after you pay.

[–]einkelflugle 7 points 4 hours ago

If only we had some sort of... “national broadband network” that could bring this cost way down thanks to economies of scale and connect the whole country with fibre? Oh well, just a pipe dream.

[–]sony4life 3 points 7 hours ago

At 4m, you're not going to see much difference between FTTN and FTTP for any of the available speed tiers.

[–]drtekrox 9 points 5 hours ago

Unless you want 100/100 for example... in which there will be 60mbps difference in upload, as 100/100 doesn't exist on FTTN, but does on FTTP.

[–]rauland 1 point 5 hours ago

100/100 is just shaped 250/100 and it's ridiculously more expensive that there would be no point for the average person to pay it.

[–]TopherAU 1 point 12 minutes ago

Depends where you're located, we can get 1000/400 with FTTP here in Tasmania, so that's a big difference over FTTN's "maximum" 100Mbps.

[–]alan_s 3 points 7 hours ago

If its that close it would be a waste of money for the trivial improvement in performance.

I'm FTTN. The node and APO pit are 1ess than 10m from my office.

[–]heard_enough_crap 1 point 7 hours ago

If your local council petitions the NBN Co, yes they will fit FTTP in your area. But you'd need to get council buy-in

[–]ScoobyDoNot 4 points 5 hours ago

Please provide evidence of where that has actually happened.

[–]LuckyBdx4Does the name Pavlov ring a bell? 1 point 5 hours ago

Just get a dedicated T5 line.

[–]Tasty_Salamanders -4 points 8 hours ago

I am no expert on all this, but I don't believe it would be possible.

If it was to the curb I imagine it could be possible, but for the node that would would mean they would have to basically upgrade your entire street to FTTC just to do your house, because they would have to replace the cabling between your house and the node in order to upgrade you to FTTP.

I recall some stories of local councils seeking ways to upgrade their areas from FTTN to FTTP, so really trying to get your local government to completely upgrade your area would likely be the only way forward I think.

[–]Sorani 0 points 7 hours ago

Should be just a new line card and a SMF run.

Not sure if anyone in the country has gone ahead with the batshit quotes yet though.

[–]mikke196 2 points 6 hours ago

Son in law paid for the quote and it was only going to be $8000 to get http. He decided against it for some strange reason

[–]Sorani 5 points 6 hours ago

Yeah, we did a few of these requests (at work) when NBN appeared on the GC, our smallest quote was $4500 (node was exactly 18 metres away by conduit, 4 metres by crow flies).

What we do know is they will only add a new GPON line card to the FTTN cabinet (There's plenty of room for more optics in there) but they won't increase the backhaul capacity (2.5Gbps/node last time i got my hands on someone who had access to these things), making fibre redundant.

For fun, the biggest quote we saw was $65k. 400 metres.

It's a bit strange that we're seeing this, because Quigley managed to get FTTH install costs down to about 1300 a home before he was booted under the now very hidden trial that happened down in VIC (i can't even find the damn thing on google now....)

Ah well, praise to the overlords, we'll end up with Telstra2.0 from 2000-2004 again where we have insane limits (compared to the world) soon....

[–]Raowrr 2 points 2 hours ago

    (i can't even find the damn thing on google now....)

Project Fox.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/quigleys-project-fox-still-saving-nbn-co-money-on-fibre-morrow/

http://www.zdnet.com/article/nbn-co-denies-claims-of-cost-saving-fibre-pilot-study/

https://www.theage.com.au/technology/nbn-fibre-rollout-was-going-to-be-cheaper-sooner-pilot-results-show-20140904-10cgdg.html

[–]Sorani 2 points 2 hours ago

cheers!

[–]the_mooseman 2 points 5 hours ago

8k for http, id hate to see what https would have cost. I could have gotten you into http for like $7.

[–]Copie247 2 points 6 hours ago

There is a number of whirlpool users that have. Especially if you can claim the cost back as a business expense.

--

Cheers,
Stephen