[LINK] America to launch 12,000 communictions satellites

David dlochrin at key.net.au
Tue Nov 20 19:47:49 AEDT 2018

On Tuesday, 20 November 2018 15:34:29 AEDT JLWhitaker wrote:
> I'm reading a Bill Bryson book that is fantastic, called Made In America: An Informal History of the English Language In the United States.

I have another excellent Bill Bryson book about the history and development of English as a world language (with a chapter on its future) titled "Mother Tongue".

The blurb on the back cover begins:  "In this hymn to the mother tongue Bill Bryson examines how a language 'treated for centuries as the inadequate and second-rate tongue of peasants' has now become the undisputed global language (more people learn English in China than live in the USA)."

I believe it was a U.S. President who instituted reform of American spellings in the early 20th century.

DL