[LINK] NBN upgrade questions

David dlochrin at key.net.au
Tue Oct 9 12:14:11 AEDT 2018

On 9/10/2018 9:36 AM, Dr Bob Jansen wrote:

> 1. When the NBN is connected to your house, does the existing ADSL facility immediately stop or is there a period during which both remain available?

When FTTN access first becomes available there's no change.  But when a user requests cutover to the NBN, the line protocol changes from ADSL to VDSL2 which will almost certainly nesessitate a new modem.  If NBN access is via HFC, existing ADSL and POTS services probably continue for a while, maybe even for a nominal 18 months.

> 2. On a FTTC connection, does the ISP or property owner have to provide a modem? Searching on the net leaves this a very confused issue, some saying yes, others no. Many answers imply that the NBN connecting device provided by NBN is the model and so just a network cable is required.

AFAIK FTTC and FTTN connections have the same terms & conditions, FTTC is just faster.  I presume a VDSL2 modem is required in both cases, does anyone have experience of FTTC?

I prefer to set up my own modem & VoIP box, but most ISPs seem to insist you use one of theirs because it makes support easy.  However its firewall capability and general security is probably minimal, again because it makes support easier.

David L.