[LINK] VoIP and internet services

David dlochrin at key.net.au
Fri Apr 26 11:14:12 AEST 2019

This is a little off the usual areas of discussion, but I'd like to hear any recommendations Linkers may have regarding VoIP and internet services.

I'd like to change my ISP, who currently provides both.  However I'd prefer to trial a VoIP provider first in order to assess their service quality and supported user functions (call diversion, call waiting signal, etc.) before burning my bridges.  The problem is that many or most full ISPs won't offer NBN users a VoIP service without internet access, and that means burning bridges because an ISP "owns" the NBN connection and immediately takes over everything.

There are many VoIP-only providers - see http://voipchoice.com.au/compare-voip-plans-residential/ for example.  Can Linkers offer any recommendations?

A similar problem arises with email accounts.  The sudden burning of bridges means there's no period in which to advise the many organisations which have a user's current address.  I suppose the solution is to acquire one in the .id.au domain, but are there any alternatives?

I doubt these issues were forseen when the original FTTP strategy was changed to the current mess.

Cheers,
David L.