[LINK] VoIP and internet services

David dlochrin at key.net.au
Sat Apr 27 15:03:55 AEST 2019

On Saturday, 27 April 2019 14:48:37 AEST I wrote:

>>> I doubt these issues were forseen when the original FTTP strategy was changed to the current mess.
>>
>> Probably not, but these issues aren’t really NBN level problems.  Domain names and email accounts are levels above what the NBN was ever meant to provide.  The NBN is really just a pipe to your ISP and they don’t care what you push through that pipe.
>
> My understanding is that NBN Co. was the legal entity responsible for owning and maintaining the original network design up to and including the network terminating device (NTD) on the wall of each premise.  This provided a clean point of demarcation between NBN Co.'s responsibilities and those of the user, but there's no such point now in the case of FTTN.

Sorry, I got side-tracked after that!  I should have added that the business of providing higher-level application services such as VoIP, email, media, etc. was far better separated from the NBN's low-level transport services.  Hence accounts with several competing providers of email or VoIP (say) could be active concurrently, with no possibility of being locked-in to a single provider at the transport level.

Or that's my understanding...

David L.