[LINK] ISP-level site-blocking of 'dangerous material'

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Mon Aug 26 17:15:58 AEST 2019

On 26/08/2019 12:26 pm, Kim Holburn wrote:

>> On 2019/Aug/26, at 10:16 am, Bernard Robertson-Dunn <brd at iimetro.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> The Christchurch material was available only through 8Chan.com which was
>> accessed via the Tor browser.
> In this case we're talking about DNS poisoning?  Tor not really needed.

AFAIK (and I can't check it) is that 8Chan.com was only accessible via
Tor. I believe it had a .oinion url.

ISPs are using DNS poisoning to implement the government's attempt to
discourage access to torrent indexing sites like the Pirate Bay. Once
you have a magnet link, a torrent downloader works fine without a
non-Australian DNS server or a VPN.

--

Regards
brd