[LINK] ISP-level site-blocking of 'dangerous material'

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Fri Aug 30 15:29:06 AEST 2019

On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 12:30 AM Bernard Robertson-Dunn <brd at iimetro.com.au>
wrote:

> AFAIK (and I can't check it) is that 8Chan.com was only accessible via
> Tor. I believe it had a .oinion url.

This is not correct.

They were front-ended by Cloudflare (who do not offer any Tor services)
until recently, when Cloudflare kicked them off.

https://blog.cloudflare.com/terminating-service-for-8chan/

> ISPs are using DNS poisoning to implement the government's attempt to
> discourage access to torrent indexing sites like the Pirate Bay. Once
> you have a magnet link, a torrent downloader works fine without a
> non-Australian DNS server or a VPN.

Unless the government decides that the trackers listed in the Magnet link
are also "dangerous"

  Scott