[LINK] NBN Co's 'Netflix tax' slammed as push to protect net neutrality grows

Stephen Loosley stephenloosley at outlook.com
Wed Jul 10 22:07:51 AEST 2019

Jan, and MyRepublic, an NBN re-seller,  write

>> (Regarding a new MyRepublic limit of 200Gb monthly on an ‘unlimited’ plan)
>>
>> If the introduction of a monthly data allowance means this service no longer meets
>> your needs, you can cancel your service without penalty by contacting our Customer
>> Service on Live Chat (https://support.myrepublic.com.au/...).
>>
>> If no action is taken by you, your service will automatically change to include the monthly
>> data allowance described above and move to calendar monthly invoicing on 1 August 2019.
>
> Not much of an option - take it or leave it. I'm surprised they didn't
> offer selling more data packs to you if you need it beyond the 200Gb
> limit instead of throttling which will just piss people off.
>
> Imagine you're in a household of even 2 children with homework needs,
> let alone paid for streaming services for sports viewing.
>
> People won't think this is a big deal until Dad is watching the final of
> some obscure sporting event and the little 'loading' wheel appears on
> his screen. I hope he hasn't been drinking!
>
> I think My Republic just lost multiple customer segments.

Haha, yes .. maybe ...

Although our unlimited-wireless account averages 30Gb of NBN per month or less .. today, MyRepublic write ..

> Dear (unlimited NBN wireless customer) ..

On Monday 1 July we sent you an email regarding changes to your Fixed Wireless Broadband service that was scheduled to take effect on 1 August.

Due to a misunderstanding, we inadvertently advised that these changes were due to an nbn™ product change, this was incorrect.

As a result we will not be implementing the previously mentioned service changes at this time.

We do however wish to remind you that the use of MyRepublic’s services continue to be governed by our Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) which can be found here.

We have recently identified some users who have been using the service in a manner inconsistent with the AUP. We will be reaching out to those users in due course. If you don’t hear from us please continue using the service as before.

Moving forward we will be paying closer attention to ensure our customers are adhering to the AUP so that we are able to ensure a fair quality of service is enjoyed by all our customers.

We apologise for any confusion or inconvenience our previous correspondence may have caused you.

Thank you for your continued support of us as a MyRepublic customer.

Kind Regards,

The MyRepublic Team