[LINK] Cancer cure through gene therapy

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Thu Nov 14 10:19:23 AEDT 2019

On 12/11/19 11:39 pm, Jevan Pipitone wrote:
> Any thoughts on this?
> "...  Patients on the brink of death were coming back to life."

Yes, a good example of sensationalist click bait. How to deal with this
is an unsolved, and perhaps unsolvable, problem.

Such claims have been spread by word of mouth, both by well meaning
people, and those out to deliberately dishonestly manipulate. However,
they can now spread much faster online.

We can't easily have every item online fact checked. Even if we could
technically do this, it would result in whoever controlled that system
effectively being in control of the world, deciding what is "true" and
what is not.

In such a world you could have unscrupulous media savvy people
manipulate their way into positions of power. Oh, wait a minute ... ;-)

--
Tom Worthington, MEd FHEA FACS CP http://www.tomw.net.au +61(0)419496150
TomW Communications Pty Ltd. PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia

Honorary Lecturer, Computer Science, Australian National University
https://cecs.anu.edu.au/research/profile/tom-worthington