[LINK] Western Australia introduces new app to help with contact tracing

David Lochrin dlochrin at aussiebb.com.au
Mon Dec 14 12:29:09 AEDT 2020

On 2020-12-10 09:39, Scott Howard wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 1:01 PM Tom Worthington wrote:
>
>> & comply with the Privacy-Preserving Contact Tracing Protocol from Apple and Google.
>>
> Unless I'm mistaken, that's not possible.  The Google/Apple APIs are only available to official "public health authorities" (ie, governments), and only a single app is allowed per region.

Could it be that Google & Apple want to be seen to be cooperating with governments re Covid-19 while not encouraging technology or concerns about privacy which might impact their corporate profits?  Surely not?

It would be far better for Australia to develop its' own "Privacy-Preserving Contact Tracing Protocol" according to rules which could be enforced by legislated penalties, as I understand was done for the unfortunate CovidSafe app.  And the EU provide a better model.

Tom, could your students develop an Australian prototype protocol and demonstrate its' practicability?

David Lochrin