[LINK] Western Australia introduces new app to help with contact tracing

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Wed Dec 16 09:04:39 AEDT 2020

On 14/12/20 12:29 pm, David Lochrin wrote:

> Could it be that Google & Apple want to be seen to be cooperating
> with governments re Covid-19 ...

Perhaps, the Australian Government doesn't want to be seen cooperating
with Google & Apple.

> It would be far better for Australia to develop its' own
> "Privacy-Preserving Contact Tracing Protocol" ...

The Australian Government has has found it challenging enough trying to
get an already built app working locally.

> Tom, could your students develop an Australian prototype protocol and
> demonstrate its' practicability?

Yes, the students could develop a prototype based on new protocols.
After all they have built systems for the power grid and missile defence.

But I would prefer they concentrated on implementing the Google & Apple
one, as that is likely to be got working quicker and be of use world wide.

--
Tom Worthington, MEd FHEA FACS CP IP3P http://www.tomw.net.au
+61(0)419496150

Honorary Lecturer, Computer Science, Australian National University
https://cecs.anu.edu.au/research/profile/tom-worthington