[LINK] .nsw.gov.au and privacy

David dlochrin at aussiebb.com.au
Thu Mar 5 12:02:37 AEDT 2020

On 2020-03-04 16:35, Kim Holburn wrote:

> I can't find any evidence of it [requirements for privacy, etc.] in the Service NSW Privacy Statement or other publicly available documentation.  If you know of any I'd like to see it.
>
> https://www.digital.nsw.gov.au/policy/buying-ict/cloud-guidance-and-policy
>
> https://www.digital.nsw.gov.au/sites/default/files/Cloud%20Policy%20%28for%20publication%29-%20April%202018.pdf

The former document, in particular, is pretty good.

But my complaint (quoted above) concerned current practice at Service NSW.  Their Privacy Statement at https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/privacy makes no reference to the above documents.  However it does state that Google Analytics and Mixpanel Inc. are used, and it does _not_ state that Salesforce Inc. are involved.

It also contains this curious non-commitment:
QUOTE
Service NSW does not have any responsibility for the privacy policies or practices of third party sites linked to the Service NSW site. Users of the Service NSW site are entitled to expect that any information gathered while using the site will be treated within the terms of the New South Wales government's privacy responsibilities and obligations.
UNQUOTE

The general NSW Government website at https://www.nsw.gov.au/privacy-statement/ even states they use pixel tracking and targeted advertising:
QUOTE
> The Department of Customer Service uses Facebook remarketing pixels to aid in customised, targeted follow-up advertising. The Department may display interest-based ads to you when you are using Facebook through Facebook’s Custom Audience Tool. This tool allows us to personalise our ads based on your interests, demographics, location and any previous interactions with us.
UNQUOTE

So AFAICS the NSW Government is currently a long, long way from the principles expressed in the documents referenced above.

A NSW "GovDC" is a good idea in that it's one place policies could be enforced, but of course it's also one place abuses could be centralised.

Cheers,
David