[LINK] New device puts music in your head — no headphones required

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Sun Nov 15 11:41:08 AEDT 2020

On Sun, 2020-11-15 at 11:04 +1100, jwhit at internode.on.net wrote:
>  Good luck to the psychiatrists and patients saying they are hearing
> voices. This is like the reception of radio signals in tooth
> fillings, without the fillings.

? This seems an oddly irrelevant comment. Are you saying these guys
have not invented what they say they have?

>  The point about participating in a conference call is a bit sus. The
> participant would still be talking. This is no different from someone
> on a call and the rest of the open office getting only one side of
> the conversation.

Assuming the participant is using headphone. It does help with half the
equation.

> HOWEVER - if this would work for people with hearing impairments, it
> could be a huge breakthrough.

It doesn't really generate sound in people's heads, that was the journo
being lax. It just generates sound very close to the ear. I suppose if
it can generate very loud localised sound it might be useful to the
hard of hearing, but vibration is vibration, and if it's big it will be
transferred to the surrounding air. Unless (and this is pure
supposition) they actively suppress the generated vibration in the
space round the focal point by e.g. generating equal and opposite sound
(like noise cancelling headphones do).

I think it all sounds completely fascinating and very useful.

Regards, K.