[LINK] ID checks for social media accounts?

Liddy Nevile liddy at sunriseresearch.org
Thu Apr 8 09:46:44 AEST 2021

PICS is the Platform for Content Selection - before metadata but a set of 10 digits, each of which rated for a characteristic of content, e.g. violence, bad language, etc - and users could put their preferences as a number in their browser and thus just get what satisfied the code they made with the rest blocked.

It was a quick answer to the fear of bad things being on the web! Pawn people loved it - clear direction to their audience, etc …Bill Clinton loved it. Eric Miller stood up in a PICS meeting one very cold day in London and said if we can do that with numbers we can do it with words and there was a new baby - metadata as we know it!

I have to add there were 6 people from Microsoft at that meeting of no more than about 15 people - they were shaking their heads and going outside to call M’soft bosses, but when they finally agreed, M’soft gave their vote and there it was. A momentous day for some :-)

Liddy

PICS: https://www.w3.org/PICS/