[LINK] [Resend] Australia has ‘skipped a generation’ of software engineering education

David dlochrin at aussiebb.com.au
Sat Nov 27 10:59:04 AEDT 2021

On 2021-11-26 14:08, Stephen Loosley wrote:
> There are no technical prerequisites to apply to Holberton, with Mr Goutallier saying the school welcomed applicants with no tech background. The process is also mostly automated to minimise unconscious bias. However, students must pass a rigorous entry test before they can apply, which involves creating a website from scratch in less than two weeks.
>
> There are no formal teachers or instructors, with lessons delivered by software and projects led by the students themselves, although the school does provide technical staff for assistance. The course follows a hybrid model where students are required to attend the campus in Melbourne’s CBD a few days per week.
>
> Tuition is around $15,000 for the full-time course, though Holberton’s local partners RACV and SportsBet are also providing a limited number of scholarships.
>
> “What we’ve been doing, especially on the TAFE side, has been failing. We need to do something else,” Mr Goutallier said.
>
> “Anybody can become a software engineer if you have the motivation. But to keep the motivation, you have to collaborate.”

Reflecting on the nine years I spent with my colleagues as casual academics teaching Software Engineering at second-year University level, all those unpaid hours we spent marking Group submissions and then defending those written (in my case, at least) assessments to Students, I now realise what a waste of time it all was for us all... (:-)

Is this another Morrison Initiative?

P.S.  Sorry about the necessity to resend, obviously I haven't done Mr Goutallier's course.

Cheers,
David Lochrin