[LINK] The 'Sea Snake' Phenomenon: 'Please Explain'

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Sat Sep 25 17:24:47 AEST 2021

On Sat, 2021-09-25 at 16:03 +1000, Ivan Trundle wrote:
> > On 24 Sep 2021, at 11:07 pm, David <dlochrin at aussiebb.com.au>
> > wrote:
> >
> > In any case, a normal Lithium device battery probably doesn't leave
> > much scope for special charging regimes.
>
> It does, actually.
> The cable (and interface) providing the power is one element, but the
> charging block is something else - often with smarts built in to
> ensure optimal charging rates (not just a single output),

The smarts can go in the device just as easily as in the charger. USB-C
can provide up to 3A right now. The standard will soon be extended to
allow higher voltages and higher wattages, allowing USB-C to power
laptops and similar devices. 5A, 240W, 50V.

>  and with different requirements for newer or larger devices (such as
> iPads etc) seeking higher power outputs, the absurdity of trying to
> standardise the input cable is very 1990s in approach.

Absurdity? **Thousands of tonnes of charging apparatus are being
discarded every year**. OK, maybe demanding a standard charger
connection is not the best solution. What *would* be a better solution?

Seriously, what does the world need more - less waste or an iPad
capable of jump-starting your (ICE) car?

> One way that Apple is likely to work around the rule is to switch to
> wireless charging (if ever there was an ill-fitting description of a
> technology, this is it) for future devices, and abandon the whole
> USB-C/D/E/F etc dilemma.

Apple is not alone. Lots of manufacturers are going wireless, sometimes
with and sometimes without a cable option. But wireless and "more
power" are antithetical. If Apple wants more voltage or more amps than
USB-C can provide (which seemed to be the main reason you were saying
they couldn't use it), I sure hope it's not looking to induction to
supply it.

Power wastage, even for very accurately positioned devices, is higher
for wireless compared to wired. Bad design or just putting the device
down a few millimetres off the right position can hugely affect the
efficiency of the charging process. Wireless charging generally causes
more heat too, which lowers battery life.

Imagine that at scale - billions of people all over the world, using
more energy than they need to and discarding devices more often. Oh -
and wireless chargers are more complicated, more expensive and thus
even more wasteful when discarded.

It's a great solution for any manufacturer of small rechargeable
devices - not just Apple. It says "screw you" to the Eurocrats, does an
end run around those pesky rules, helps nobody else, slightly increases
the rate of obsolescence and externalises an environmental cost.
Perfect!

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer

GPG fingerprint: 61A0 99A9 8823 3A75 871E 5D90 BADB B237 260C 9C58
Old fingerprint: 2561 E9EC D868 E73C 8AF1 49CF EE50 4B1D CCA1 5170