sindaun

Robin Hide rhide at coombs.anu.edu.au
Sat Nov 25 13:10:29 EST 2000

Can't help with other pidgin terms, but note that sindaun appears as a
category for probing villagers' views of their socio-economic situation in
the recent major report on human development in PNG (Office of National
Planning, Government of Papua New Guinea (1999). Papua New Guinea Human
Development Report 1998 New York, UNDP / Office of National Planning,
GoPNG). It is defined as 'wellness' or situation (see listings of  specific
factors referred to pp.48-9), and in the work plans for field work (pp.
307) wellness is (gutpela sindaun), hardship (sindaun no gut).

Robin Hide