metaphorical uses of 'yumi'

Miriam Meyerhoff mhoff at mailserver.Hawaii.EDU
Tue Nov 28 12:57:14 EST 2000

Bambi Schieffelin and Gillian Sankoff have sen me copies of some
recent correspondence on this topic, and I have subscribed to the
list in order to weigh in now in person and try and answer some of
the open questions from the prior postings I have seen, specifically
some points raised by John Lynch in this message, such as WHO uses
Bislama 'yumi' when the event or state described does not literally
include the addressee(s) and when.

The summary of my work that Courtney Handman provided was very good,
and I didn't mean to be obfuscatory about where I did my work. I
recorded all my tokens (tape and informally) in a village on Malo
island and in Santo township. As I have noted, the majority of tokens
of 'yumi' used metaphorically occurred in the village data. I have
suggested that this is because the Ni-Vanuatu/expatriate intergroup
distinction in town is generally so salient that it is only under a
few circumstances that it can be overridden. For example, my landlord
saying to me "ol risej we yumi mekem" when referring specifically to
a survey he did of malaria transmission in the Banks/Torres region.
Here, I think he can use the 'yumi' felicitiously because he knew
that the reason I was in Vanuatu was to do research on linguistics,
so our shared identity as researchers was (topically) salient enough
to override ethnic factors.

However, John Lynch is quite right that generally Bislama speakers
use 'yumi/mifala' in their truth conditional senses. In my
transcribed corpus, the majority of uses of 'yumi' do index
situations where the speaker and addressee were co-participants. Only
14/61 tokens of 'yumi' (i.e. 23%) were what I am calling metaphorical
uses.

Since most of the people who used it with me (as I have noted
elsewhere) we women, and most of the women I hung around with on Malo
were "woman nara aelan", I'm talking about people with a variety of
L1s:Raga (Pentecost), North Maewo , Aneityum, Nakanamaga (Emae) and
one L1 speaker of Bislama (and then there was also my male landlord
from the Banks). But there were also a good number of people from
Malo (Tamambo speakers) who used the form with me, including the
tokens from men that I have discussed when some other intergroup
distinction seemed to be more topically more salient than gender
(e.g. the contrast between people "daon" and people "antap"). Some of
the women I have tokens from were Bislama dominant even though
Bislama was technically their L2.

What you'll notice though is that there is a bias towards speakers
from northern islands though in my sample. I don't know if that
accounts for the differences in my observations and John's
observations in Vila (and Aneityum, John?). When I mentioned my
interest in this to Terry Crowley though, his response was along the
lines of "yeah sure, of course 'inclusive' can be used to signal
attitude", which I took to me that he was familiar with the
phenomenon in Bislama too. Terry, I assume you're out there, would it
be fair to say you're also mainly a south and central Vanuatu person?
Perhaps this is one feature that is emerging as a genuine regional
dialect difference in Bislama.

When I talked to speakers of Bislama about this, they also seemed to
be unsurprised at what I was looking at. That is, their awareness of
this strategy is reasonably high, or can be easily activated. I did a
workshop on linguistics at Matevulu college in 1995 with a Year 10
class, and when we discussed this, I said I had noticed that I heard
it more from women than to men. Lots of students volunteered that
this was because I was a woman (sort of "duh, Miriam..."). I also
talked about it with a few people on Malo when I was back there in
1998. I hardly explained the phenomenon when one of the men I was
talking to jumped in saying something like "yes, yes, we do that in
Tamambo too. You don't want people to feel left out". (Aside: it's
interesting that this is the same motivation people usually give for
using Bislama in a linguistically mixed group. The concern is
obviously pretty pervasive in constraining linguistic choices.) That
people are aware of it at this kind of level, doesn't surprise me
since if my data is representative, even though it's not the
(statistically) normative way to use 'yumi', it occurs something like
one in five times the inclusive pronoun is used.

Interestingly, though, I asked Dorothy Jauncey, who did absolutely
WONDERFUL fieldwork on Tamambo on Malo and whose grammar is based on
a lot of conversation as well as the usual sorts of elicited texts,
whether she had come across this use of the Tamambo equivalent
'hinda-'. She went through her transcripts and found only a tiny
number of 'hinda-' used metaphorically as a proportion of the total
uses of 'hinda-'. This leaves some interesting questions about how to
resolve the comment by the guy who told me that he recognised the
Bislama strategy from Tamambo, with Jauncey's data on (his and
others') metaphorical use of the inclusive. One possible answer might
be that in Tamambo, different intergroup boundaries are attended to
and salient most of the time than the ones I observed (e.g. gender,
clan membership), but I really don't know. More fieldwork needed,
maybe next summer....

When I was first looking at this I did try and find if there were
analogous uses of 'yumi' in Tok Pisin and drew a blank. since I've
missed the start of this thread, if anyone would care to send me
(privately) references to work that has come out since I last looked
or that in work in progress (either for Tok Pisin, or any language
for that matter) I'd really welcome it.

For those who really want to haul my data over the coals, here are
some references to places where I have discussed it (each one does
make different points about the phenomenon):

2001	Dynamics of differentiation: On social psychology and cases
of language variation. In Nikolas Coupland, Christopher Candlin and
Srikant Sarangi (eds) Sociolinguistics and Social Theory. London:
Longman. 61-87.
[still in page proofs at the moment, should be out by April next yr]

1998	Accommodating your data: The use and misuse of accommodation
theory in sociolinguistics. Language and Communication. 18. 205-225.

1996	My place or yours: constructing intergroup boundaries in
Bislama. In Belief Systems: Proceedings of the 1996 Berkeley Women
and Language Conference. Women and Language Group: University of
California. 509-518.

best, mm

TO 31 DECEMBER, 2000:                   FROM 1 JANUARY, 2000

Miriam Meyerhoff
Department of Linguistics	        Department of Theoretical
University of Hawai'i at Manoa                 and Applied Linguistics
1890 East-West Rd		        University of Edinburgh
Honolulu, HI 96822			40 George Square
                                         Edinburgh EH 8 9LL

808 956-3236               (ph)         (+44) 131 650-3961
808 956-9166               (fax)        (+44) 131 650-3962

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~mhoff/