[Nauty-list] Digraphs

Brendan McKay bdm at cs.anu.edu.au
Mon Aug 1 09:19:49 EST 2011

Usually when I see methods for converting digraphs to graphs, the
resulting order is proportional to the number of arcs. This is
unnecessary. Here is a better way (which needs checking!).

Given: digraph D = (V,A)

Construct an undirected graph G:
   For each v in V, make three vertices v1,v2,v3 and edges v1-v2-v3.
   For each v->w in A, add the edge v1-w3.
   Colour the vertices with three colours, for
      {v1 | v in V}, {v2 | v in V}, {v3 | v in V}.

Now Aut(D) is the same as the action of Aut(G) on {v2 | v in V}.

To make a canonically labelled D, label the vertices in the same
order as {v2 | v in V} are labelled by nauty.

I have no experience with graphs made in this manner, though I
don't see any obvious reason they would be difficult.

Brendan.

* Mathieu Dutour <Mathieu.Dutour at ens.fr> [110801 00:14]: