[Nauty] help request

Brendan McKay Brendan.McKay at anu.edu.au
Fri Apr 9 12:11:27 AEST 2021

Hi Clément,

When you refer to "bicolored", do you mean that the edges are +1 or -1,
or is there an additional colouring that doesn't appear on your picture?

Can there be parallel edges (more than one edge in the same direction
between the same pair of vertices, or more than one loop on the same
vertex)?

If both answers are "no", you have "signed digraphs". I don't know of
an existing catalogue and nauty does not have a canned generator for
them.  However, if you only want order 4, it would be simplest to use
a dumb method since you only need to do it once and efficiency is
not so important.

First, make a list of the 24 permutations of {1,2,3,4}.

Next, define an ordering on 4x4 matrices. It doesn't matter what it is,
for example you can write them out as a string of {-1,0,1} and use
dictionary ordering on the strings.

Now generate one 4x4 matrix at a time. Since there are 16 positions
in the matrix and 3 values that can go there, the number of matrices
is 3^16 = 43,046,721.  Consider one matrix M.  Apply each of the
permutations to M (simultaneously to rows and columns) and reject
M if the permuted matrix is strictly less than M according to the order
you defined.  If M is never rejected, keep it.

The set of matrices you keep will be representatives of the
isomorphism classes.  Expect about 2 million.

It's possible to tune this generation method a lot to make it super-fast,
but what is the point of spending an hour to reduce the running time
from one minute to one second?  If you ever choose to go for order 5,
where there will be about 10 billion matrices, you might need more care.

Cheers, Brendan.