[ANU Pacific.Institute] Celebration on the occasion of the retirement of Deveni Temu, 6 December 2017

Michael Cookson michael.cookson at anu.edu.au
Thu Dec 7 17:12:31 AEDT 2017

Dear Pacific Institute members

Yesterday we had a farewell celebration for Deveni Temu who - among other duties - has been our Pacific Librarian at ANU for over a decade.

It was great to see a number of you there, alongside members of the PNG community in Canberra, including Deveni's family. We also appreciated attendance by Mr Sakias Tameo, Chargé d'Affaire of the PNG High Commission in Canberra and Dr Albert Schram, Vice Chancellor of the PNG University of Technology (Unitech).

I would like to offer a special note of thanks to Roannie for her help in organising the event and to the fantastic Pasifika crew; especially George (who prepared all that wonderful islands food), and also Eliorah Malifa, Maholopa Laveil, Rodney Ng Shiu, Penua Polon and Nic Halter, who helped with catering support. The staff in the library, Diane, Heather, Roxanne, and a Dewey of others were also very helpful with food and logistics, including our after-hours use of the McDonald room.

I'd also like to thank the Peroveta singers, who came along, and unannounced (in the end), gave us a few lovely songs to add to the conviviality of the occasion.

As expected, the final thank you is to Deveni. For the gift of his presence in the library over many years - as a real and virtual connection to the Pacific - and the myriad ways he has supported so many students and scholars at ANU... always with patience, style and grace.

My thanks to you all
Mike

Dr Michael Cookson | Partnership Manager | Development Policy Centre | Crawford School of Public Policy | ANU College of Asia and the Pacific | The Australian National University | 7 Liversidge, Lennox Crossing| Acton ACT 2601 | T: +61 2 6125 5639  M: +61 437 418 870 | michael.cookson at anu.edu.au<mailto:michael.cookson at anu.edu.au> | www.devpolicy.anu.edu.au<http://www.devpolicy.anu.edu.au/> - www.devpolicy.org<http://www.devpolicy.org/>