[PapuanLanguages] 'do/say' verbs

John Roberts dr_john_roberts at sil.org
Fri Dec 15 20:16:49 EST 2006

In Amele (Papuan) it is possible to embed verb series and clause chains
inside a verb. For example, (1) shows a verb stem *qet* 'cut' with verb
inflection attached. But this verb stem can be substituted by a verb
series, as in (2), or a switch-reference clause chain, as in (3). In (2)
and (3) the verb inflection attaches to the whole verb series or whole
clause chain rather than to the last item. Thus Amele has syntax within
the word.

1) Ege cinim qet-oqo-na.
1pl kunai cut-1pl.SU-PRES
‘We cut the kunai grass.’

2) Ege cinim qet-i l-i qet-i h-u oqo-na.
1pl kunai cut- go- cut- come- 1pl.SU-PRES
‘We cut the kunai grass backwards and forwards.’

3) Ege qet-ud-ece-b qet-ud-ece-b oqo-na.
1pl cut-3sg.DO-DS-3sg.SU cut-3sg.DO-DS-3sg.SU 1pl.SU-PRES
‘We cut each other.’

I am sure Amele is not the only Papuan language that can do this and I
would like some more examples for some research I am conducting. If any
of you are familiar with a Papuan language that can do this same kind of
embedding within the verb-word, could you give me some examples? You can
either post them to this list or send them to me at dr_john_roberts at sil.org.

Thanks.

John Roberts

--