[Papuanlanguages] 'Eating water' and elsewhere: a summary

dryer at buffalo.edu dryer at buffalo.edu
Mon Sep 25 09:56:31 EST 2006

This is a belated response to add two more languages to the list of Papuan
languages using the same verb for 'eat' and 'drink': Walman (Torricelli;
aka Valman) and Poko-Rawo (Sko; aka Rawo).

What wasn't clear from the responses was how many languages have DIFFERENT
verbs for 'eat' and 'drink', since the query asked for cases where they are
the same.   Sasha mentioned some in the Sepik area, but I think there was
only one response that identified such a case.  Are there other languages
that people on this list work on that employ different verbs for these?

Matthew Dryer

--On Tuesday, September 12, 2006 6:07 PM +1000 Alexandra Aikhenvald