[Papuanlanguages] Inanwatan eat/drink/smoke again

Lourens de Vries lj.de.vries at let.vu.nl
Tue Sep 26 21:24:57 EST 2006

Dear Sasha, when I mentioned Inanwatan ni- 'to
eat/drink/smoke' to you I forgot to mention another
idiomatic meaning of that glorious verb in Inanwatan: to
have a sexual relationship with someone. (e.g. uto
we-ni-nita, fish they-eat-HAB=they have a sexual
relationship) Eating together or sharing food with someone
of the opposite sex who is a possible marriage partner in
terms of the local kinship and marriage practices is a
symbol of sexual relationships in quite a few New Guinea
communities, so it is not surprising that the generic
consume verb is extended to the domain of relationships in
Inanwatan.

In Awyu languages the noun for water (Korowai akh, Kombai
ok) is also used generically, not just to include all
liquids, whether fit for human consumption or not, but all
bodies of water (sea, river, lake). Generic nouns for food
come in two types in Awyu languages: they are either based
on nominalizations of the eat verb (e.g. Korowai
lu-ngga/eat-NOM) or sago terms turned generic (Korowai
dau), with compounds denoting imported food (e.g. Korowai
laleo-dau, demon-sago for bread).

Given the fact that quite a few Papuan languages like to
creatively combine highly generic verbs with more specific
lexical items (e.g. consume water=drink) to extend the
vocabulary in a syntagmatic fashion, I would not be too
disturbed to find on the one hand just a generic verb of
consume/ingest covering eating and drinking and on the
other multiple generic food nouns reflecting culturally
significant food distinctions (such as
imported/outsiders'food versus 'our'or locally originating
food). Best, Lourens

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 17:57:53 +1000